It’s a slogan that helps people immediately recognize what you and your brand is all about. It is memorable, short and encompasses your brand story. The following are the benefits of having a good author tagline:
1. It creates immediate feelings you want in your readers.
2. It makes you more memorable than the next guy who doesn’t work hard on having a tagline or a brand.
3. It allows people to know where you fit in in terms of your niche. It allows for immediate recognition.
4. You can use your tagline anywhere to reinforce your brand. Your tagline can be featured on the following:
a. Book covers
b. Title page of your books
c. Amazon descriptions
d. Amazon author profiles
e. Blog header
f. Twitter background
g. Facebook profile
h. Email signatures
i. Business cards
To create your own tagline, take out a pen and paper and answer the following questions. Use one-word answers for these. (Jean Oram Blog)
1. How do you want your readers to feel? (inspired, hopeful, excited)
2. What are the common themes in your books/content?
3. What image do you want to convey?
4. Who are your readers?
5. What makes you different?
Choose five to seven words that resonate with you and play around with them. Do you have a tagline popping out at you already?
The following are some tips for creating author taglines:
1. Make it simple. You don’t want your tagline to say too much, except your main message. If you can’t communicate your brand in three to five words, you probably aren’t very clear on what your brand is all about yet.
2. Drill in your benefit. You don’t want a meaningless tagline like “Simply Amazing!” or “I Want That!” You want to communicate clearly what you are all about.
3. Keep the buzz words out. Words like “game-changing”, “out of the box” and “revenue-generating” shows you’re a lazy tagline writer.
4. Make it funny, or at least witty. And if you can’t, hire someone else to make it funny for you.
5. Say no to clichés!
Play around with the above suggestions until you find something that genuinely resonates with you, and your brand. You will be happy you put in the time, and your results will speak for themselves.
Image by Yastremska – from Bigstock