Hi, Al Bargen here. For your book to sell you need to get exposure. Let’s take a look at 5 different actions you can take to improve your chances of getting seen.
Promoting non-fiction books requires a different marketing strategy than fiction and literary works do. This is primarily due to the difference in target audience. However, both fiction and non-fiction need exposure so they are usually listed on the same sites that do a good job of promoting books to readers.
The more of the following sites you use, the better your chances are for getting attention:
- Amazon. This is a no-brainer. This is the world’s largest consumer product site. If your book is not listed here, you’re missing out on millions of prospective readers. What’s great about this is that Amazon does the marketing for your book through their well-guarded algorithm.
- Goodreads. This site has over 20 million members, most of whom are voracious readers who love to review books. This is the platform that brings readers and authors together. It would be a shame not to list your non-fiction book on this site.
- Ereader News Today. ENT is a popular site where free and bargain books (primarily for Kindle, but the site also promotes the books on Nook, iBooks, Google Play, and Kobo) are promoted. The site accepts non-fiction books, which are given the same exposure as fiction books. The minimum requirement is that you will need at least 10 reviews on Amazon, a 4-star rating, and be priced at 99 cents. It’s highly recommended to make use of this service during your free or 99-cent promo days.
- BookBub. To be featured in Bookbub means your book has undergone stringent screening process. If the editors decide to feature your non-fiction book, Bookbub sends the book out to over 2 million readers via email list and website postings. Fees apply.
- World Literary Café. This is an online community of writers and readers that promote fiction and non-fiction books. The site provides various free and paid marketing promos.
How many of these sites do you list your books on?
Nick and I saw our own dreams be fulfilled when our book ‘Hard Core Soft Cover’ got promoted onto the best-selling lists of Amazon. Subscribe to the ‘Writers Rise Weekly’ newsletter here and we’ll keep you posted with the latest news on how we did it.
Thanks for reading, and please leave any comments; we promise to get back to you.
Image by VadimGuzhva – BigStockphoto.com